I can't wait to meet my daughter
Becky gets to be in contact with our daughter every day - although most of the time, she wishes she could get a break! But my only experience with our baby girl has been watching and feeling the incredibly odd (yet cool) squirmings and moving lumps on Becky's belly.
I can't wait to meet my daughter.
Hopefully, the other parents out there can relate. I'll often spend a few minutes - sometimes more than a few minutes - before I go to sleep, thinking about what she'll be like. I picture her as a one-year-old, a toddler, a little girl heading off to school, a teenager. I wonder what will make her laugh. I wonder what she'll be afraid of. I wonder if she'll be athletic, if she'll be cuddly, if she'll be quiet, if she'll be loud. I wonder what her favorite subjects in school will be (aside from economics, of course). I wonder what her dreams will be. I know that I'll love her no matter what, but I can't wait to meet her. Here is this person that will be a part of our lives for the rest of our lives. She's so immediately close, yet we have to wait a little while longer to really meet her.
Please feel free to remind me of this when I'm up to my armpits in diapers and haven't slept in a week.
On a related note, I've been reading up on the birth process. You'd think that a process as critical to the propagation of the species wouldn't be so traumatic. The pain, the straining, the exhaustion, the weeping - and it's even worse for the mother! I will do my absolute best to remain attentive, helpful, supportive, and (ideally) vertical. I gave blood this week, partly to test my ability to remain conscious during medical stuff (I know, I know, delivery is a teensy bit more traumatic than giving blood, but you gotta start somewhere).
In other news, we're settling into Vermont, and trying to branch out a bit. I know this will surprise everyone, but Becky has taken the lead in contacting acquaintences and turning them into friends. There are a bunch of great people among the new faculty at St. Michael's (and their sig others), some ofwhom have already offered to help Becky in labor if I lose my verticality.

2 Comments:
I loved reading your thoughts about the little girl you will be holding, loving and caring for very soon. I'm sure you're thoughts are typical of a first-time father although most first-timers aren't 'brave' enough to admit them! I think if you just concentrate on Becky's face, giving rubs where needed, and anticipating meeting your daughter you'll remain vertical in the delivery room. After that is another story!
Much love, Mom
Just don't forget to breathe!
Post a Comment
<< Home